The Labor Department's Office of Labor-Management Standards administers and enforces most provisions of the LMRDA.
Elaws advisors are free, Web-based tools designed to help workers and employers understand the major laws administered and enforced by the department. By asking a series of questions, the advisors simulate a conversation with a Department of Labor expert and guide users to customized information explaining the requirements of each law.
For example, users are presented with menu options and can access information on various topics. After a user responds to questions regarding the type of union and the purpose of the election in which the user is interested, the OLMS Union Elections Advisor will then:
- Determine whether the LMRDA covers the union officer election.
- Help union members and election officials understand their roles and responsibilities in conducting union officer elections.
- Summarize the requirements and procedures for planning and conducting union officer elections.
- Help candidates and union members understand their rights through the election process.
- Outline the timetable and requirements for protesting an election.
For more information, visit www.dol.gov/elaws.